Friday 8 June 2012

The Pride in being an 'Indian'

"They(Indians) would not tell a lie for anything in the world and do not utter a word that is not true"
I happened to read this in a travelogue written by Marco Polo, centuries back. I do not know what Marco Polo will write if he visits India now. But his words gave me goose-bumps and inspired me to dig deeper into India's history.

After I strolled through lot of websites and books, I happened to end up on a documentary, "The Story of India" by British historian, Michael Wood, on the history of India. Though initially I watched it to kill my time, very soon I found myself sitting still and listening with all my heart. I saw the passion in his eyes, for my country and its history, in his eyes, which I hadn't felt in me or seen in any other citizen of India(From a platformer to politician).

His enthusiastic exposition of history made me to entirely forget the present and allow myself to be transported as if by magic into the past. He penetrated through the dim mist of 4000 years and transformed into a living reality. When I listened to him, I became afire with enthusiasm, amazed and spell-bound at our cultural wealth and heritage, sat erect in pride and finally moved into tears.

I hadn't felt proud or cried when I saw our I-day parade, nor when I saw 'Chak de India'.
But I cried when a foreigner made me understand the value of our country.
                           I sincerely Thank This man, who made me cry for my country, in pride.

  

1 comment:

  1. What we know about our history is also works of people from outside .Yes we need to be proud of magnificence but how are we feeling about letting down ourselves by our corrpt,inefficient and lazy attitudes.

    ReplyDelete